I don't know if I have written about this before. At least not on this blog. But, it has been haunting me since it occurred. I feel so convicted. And there is nothing that is going to make it feel any better.
I was driving to work a few weeks ago, maybe more, and I saw this old man. He was homeless, shirtless, very muscular, but skinny at the same time. He was limping and pulling all his possessions in a large Grocery cart. It was a very hot day. He was on the move, but there was nothing very close by. I didn't have any money, cash or credit cards and I didn't know what to do. I could have tried to scrape together some change to buy something for him and drive it back, but I was running late for work and I didn't know how much it would cost. Also my supervisor was coming that day and maybe a shadow too (not sure), but I was worried about getting fired. (This was during the time period, I thought I was on the verge of getting fired all the time).
You know, I wonder where the Samaritan was going. There is a good chance he was going to work, a wedding, a funeral when he saw that man lying in the road. There is a good chance there would be negative consequences for taking the time to help that man.
Luke 10:33-35
"But a certain Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, and came to him, and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return, I will repay you.'"
In reality, how often do we do this? There is a lot of opportunity. I was confronted with it and I failed.
Matthew 25:40
"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
My clients Grandma told me the other day that her mother used to make delicious sandwiches for all the beggars who would come to the door. When she asked her mother why, she would say, "It might be Jesus."

I used to always think, "that is somebody's son." I think of my kids with Autism and know the parents would do anything in the world to stop them from getting to that point. But, one day, they will die and they can't take care of their kids anymore. Will someone maybe, one day, write a sign for them and put them by the road?
I e-mailed a man who reached out to the homeless once, asking what would be helpful to give them. He recommended clean socks and a gift card for food. Maybe this weekend we will go to Subway and buy some gift cards and Target and buy some socks and make some pre-packed bags to keep in the car.
This weighs so heavily on my heart. I wish I could go back and do something for that poor man. I can only go forwards though, so ahead we stride. Weeks later and finally we will do something.
I cry every time I see a homeless person. I remember once on our honeymoon, I saw a man asking for money when we got off the freeway and I started sobbing. It's just so sad! I don't remember if I gave him money or not. It depends on whether or not I have cash on me. I try to give whenever I can. Justin is a bit cynical about it--he thinks they're all a bunch of scam artists.
ReplyDelete