Why does our culture assume old is ugly? I've been watching some old movies lately and most of these vivacious young men and women prancing about on screen have passed away. In fact Katharine Hepburn died at 96 in 1993. We all get old, and we will all die. Yet, we live in such denial of it. In fact, we are already getting old. One of my friends posted on Facebook, "Today is the youngest you will ever be." (Although, I'm sure she was not thinking of eternity). 100% of people die. I have 21 year old friends saying they are old. My mom turned gray in her early 30's - my sister will turn 27 next year, I will turn 24. We can never turn back time on this earth. I think the way to age beautifully is not through skin care or makeup, but about attitude. I also tend to think elderly is beautiful. If I live long enough, I will try to embrace wrinkles, sun spots and graying hairs as battle scars, marks of experience and evidence of life lived. Shame on this culture for refusing to respect elders and for idolizing youth. Life goes by like a blink of an eye. Surprisingly, the year is on its way out and its almost 2010. As much as it shocks us, lets do our best to love, trust and embrace life.


Katharine Hepburn


Cary Grant

Audrey Hepburn
Spencer Tracy
No comments:
Post a Comment