Friday, November 20, 2009

Rock-a-Bye-Baby

My kids are sick. Two of them. And it feels bad.

Neither of the parents wanted to cancel session, so I ended up driving out to one of their homes and I made the call to cancel. (Because she was sleepy, lethargic and burning up!) The other parent, waited until 15 minutes before the session started to call, just in case the fever subsided.

Other than the fact, that if your child has a fever they should NOT be doing therapy. I felt bad. I felt like I might have been the carrier and even if I wasn't, it feels really horrible to see your kids in that state. Seeing Darla so feeble really impacted me.

I just wanted to scoop them up (both of them, ages 4 and 18), sing them Rock-a-Bye Baby and lull them to sleep.

The title for my post was going to be "I'm Not Sick" until I found this picture on Flickr. The lyrics of Rock-a-bye Baby have disturbed me as an adult. The only way I could fix that image is to imagine the baby floating down on the wind. This picture, "Rock-a-bye baby in the..." by Natalie Lundberg Photography is something I would never ever do to my child. This precarious situation, however, seems to represent how I feel: On edge. Wanting to protect my kids and knowing I can't. Just waiting, waiting, waiting, to see if they are ok.

Blah, I can't even imagine if they were own babies.

Happy Friday! Oscar has a surprise for me tomorrow night. And I am excited.

1 comment:

  1. The lyrics have disturbed me too. What a creepy lullaby to sing to kids! No wonder kids have nightmares.

    Oooo, what's the surprise?

    ReplyDelete