
It is so much easier to write about yesterday than today - especially on a day where I need to get quite a bit done in the next 15 hours.
Ok, so let's go back in time. After transforming my 1br apartment from the hurricane mess it was to a neat and tidy sanctuary, Oscar comes home and puts the remaining clutter (his camping supplies) in storage. I work on answering my emails, transferring xanga's over and studying. Then off to work I go.
My kiddo was very excited to see me, but started getting ants in his pants for the last 45 minutes. I did a lot of work on writing new goals for him and cleaning up his binder. I'm not particularly satisfied with the deceleration of his attention span. I think it is due to new demands in waking up early for school though, and can only make changes to increase his comfort. I think I want to incorporate more Natural Environment Training for him.
Anyways, post work, I pick up some bread rolls and butter at food4less. I normally don't shop there, but had a pleasant experience. The bread was so inexpensive - perfect!! I overpaid for cut celery and carrots though, definitely could have done that at home.
I danced home in my car while eating those celery sticks and carrots. A sweet middle aged man laughed at me from his car. But.... life's a party, right?
Got home with quite a bit of things to do, but felt unproductive. I took the cats out for a bit, sorted through my mail and then tried to put a card together for Oscar's Birthday. I watched a few minutes of the show, "Switched at Birth." My mom's been wanting me to watch it. It has an actress I like in it, but I wasn't too captured.
Then off I go to Central Park. Tuesday's is when I get together with some people from church and do a potluck for the church members and homeless in the park. The man who was bringing some of the main ingredients was quite late and I had to leave early, so I didn't feel like I got all I wanted from the experience. I was disappointed because we were having a Bible study after food today too and I missed out. Also, a few of the regulars were missing - I thoroughly missed them.
We served salad with grilled chicken, craisins, walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette. Sides were bread rolls w/ butter and canteloupe. We got popsicles for dessert since it was such a hot day and soda and water for drinks. We were going to bring ice, but noone brought it.
They recently moved the picnic tables where we serve the food and I'm not as pleased with the new location. I feel like once we get the food, people spread out and it is difficult for me to know where to sit. I also feel like more people move on because of this instead of spending time to socialize with us.
I didn't even get to finish serving food before I left to attempt to finish making Oscar's card. Did not do that OR some of the other stuff I needed to finish - mainly from my own lack of discipline and underestimating how long it would take to do the card.
At 8:05pm, I arrive at Oscar's studio to videotape and watch the break dancing private lesson I booked for Oscar's 25th birthday present. He enjoyed it, but found it more difficult than he thought it would be. I think it was a disappointment overall (which is not that much fun for the gift giver). He said his thank you's though. I wanted to get out there and try it. It looked fun, but difficult. I don't know if I would have the balance or arm strength to do anything. He said he now knew what it was all about and was an experience. When we look back at 2011, I am sure we will remember it with joy.
It was a challenging day for me that began with a lot of promise. I struggled to stay focused on what really counts and keep a positive attitude. I did not do Bible study and I think that would have really helped.
Today will be a testing day. Hopefully I can stay focused. I have a lot of studying to do (as my final is tomorrow). Dr. Bill, the man administering my BCBA supervision is coming to observe my therapy session today and that's really all. I have no idea what I am truly worried about.
All the best, world!
~ Mrs. Sanchez
No comments:
Post a Comment