Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Yummy Raw Smoothie


Soooo the smoothie that I thought would be yucky is absolutely delicious!!! I think it is the cinnamon and ginger which really makes it yum. BEWARE: it is an interesting taste though. Not what you would expect at all.


Supposedly it is supposed to help with the symptoms of PMS. The raw food solution website says, "Oranges are known to improve the health of the blood vessels of the uterus. Spinach is a great source of magnesium which helps to reduce muscle cramps. Cinnamon helps to keep the blood sugar levels stable to reduce cravings for carbohydrate foods."

Now, I don't have PMS right now, but I do like it. Here's the recipe from the rawfoodsolution website

Ingredients:
Serves Two

2 oranges
2 bananas
4 cups spinach
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoons bee pollen (optional)
2 cups water

Method:

Place all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.

**I added 1 1/2 tsp of agave nectar as a sweetener. Oscar likes protein shakes in the morning, because he runs, so I ground up 3 tbsp of hemp seeds to add 28g of protein.

1 serving w/ hemp seeds
calories: 336
carbs: 59
fat: 8.5g
protein: 12.5

1 serving w/o hemp seeds
calories: 216
carbs: 54
fat: 1g
protein: 4.5

**benefits of hemp seeds (other than Oscar's huge need for protein)
Rich in omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9, contains all 10 essential amino acids, high in anti-oxidants

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, I might have to try hemp seeds. Protein and omega-3s are essential for pregnancy and baby development.

    ReplyDelete